office of Admissions and Records
Texas Success Initiative (TSI)
What is the Texas Success Initiative?
TSI is a state mandated requirement assessing a student’s proficiency in reading, writing, and math.
How do I know if I am exempt from the TSI requirement?
- The student has earned a bachelor's degree from any accredited institution or an associate's degree.
- The student is serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and has been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment. Please contact the admissions office to request the waiver form. The form must be completed by the commanding officer, and returned to the admissions office.
- The student was honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or served as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States on or after August 1, 1990. A DD-214 Member 4 that clearly shows the dates of enlistment and separation, and discharge status of Honorable must be provided to the admissions office to qualify for this exemption.
- The student has attended another Texas public institution and has been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution.
- The student has transferred to the university from a private or independent institution of higher education, an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education, and has completed college-level coursework in specified areas and has achieved a C or better in those courses.
- International institution of higher education and has completed college-level coursework in specified areas and has achieved a C or better in those courses.
- A student with an SAT score of at least 1070 and a score of at least 500 on the verbal and math section is exempt. (valid 5 years from test date)
What scores are considered passing?
Writing 363 with 4 on essay or 5 on essay.
How can I take the test if it is determined that I am not exempt from one or more sections of the TSI requirement?
Prospective students may request information regarding acceptable tests by contacting the Central Texas College testing office at 254-526-1254 or the Temple College testing office at 800-460-4636 ext. 8586. For more general information about the THEA test please visit www.thea.nesinc.com.